Lavonne and John Kelley (Provided Photos/IMPD)

Indiana parents charged in death of paralyzed teen with bedsores

The couple is accused of failing to seek medical treatment for a teen who suffered from spina bifida and died Aug. 4 in the family’s home. The Marion County coroner’s office determined the cause of death was acute and chronic bedsores.

This illustration released by the Centers for Disease Control depicts a three-dimensional (3D) computer-generated image of a group of carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae bacteria. The artistic recreation was based upon scanning electron micrographic imagery. A potentially deadly "superbug" resistant to antibiotics infected seven patients, including two who died, and more than 100 others were exposed at a Southern California hospital through contaminated medical instruments, UCLA reported Wednesday Feb. 18, 2015. (AP Photo/Centers for Disease Control)

2 dead, 179 exposed after ‘superbug’ outbreak at hospital

Similar outbreaks of CRE have been reported around the nation. They are difficult to treat because some varieties are resistant to most known antibiotics. By one estimate, CRE can contribute to death in up to half of seriously infected patients.