Cause found for auto body shop fire, victims ID’d

auto repair fire
Two bodies were recovered from an auto repair business in Milford on Thursday, February 14, 2014.

MILFORD, Ind. (WANE) – A fire at a Milford auto body shop that left two dead was caused by an electrical malfunction, according to the Kosciusko County Fire Investigation Team.

The fire happened Thursday morning at the Medina’s Body Repair Shop at 310 N Higbee Street in Milford.

The identity of a woman found dead has been confirmed by the Kosciusko County Coroner’s Office and a man found on the first floor is presumed to be Jose Medina.

Annalu Nunez was found by firefighters on the second floor of the building. The coroner said she died of smoke inhalation.

Police said Nunez and Medina both had the body shop’s address listed as their residence.  Police had said the two people who died lived in an apartment above the body shop. Medical examiners of the Northeast Indiana Forensic Center determined the man also died of smoke inhalation. But, authorities are waiting for DNA testing to be completed to confirm a positive identification of Medina.

The fire was ruled accidental. The Kosciusko County Fire Investigation Team sent a release on Monday stating that “the fire originated in the ceiling of a work bay and spread throughout the structure. Evidence found at the scene indicates an electrical malfunction in the wiring supplying power to a ceiling light. “

blog comments powered by Disqus