Auburn toddler found safe, father won’t face charges

Pictured are Dale Curtis Craig, left, and Kevin “Chub” Wayne Craig, right.

AUBURN, Ind. (WANE) A 2-year-old Auburn boy who was the subject of an early Wednesday Amber Alert has been found safe.

Just after 3 a.m. Wednesday, Auburn Police were called to a home at 116 S. McClellan St. on a report of a “domestic situation” there. When officers arrived, a woman – 27-year-old Angela Williams – said she’d been battered by 28-year-old Dale C. Craig and that Craig had taken her 2-year-old son.

Kevin “Chub” Wayne Craig

Williams said Craig had no parental rights to the boy – his son – and told officers that the boy was in danger.

Four and a half hours later, a state-wide Amber Alert was issued as police searched for young Kevin “Chub” Wayne Craig. In the alert, police said Kevin was was believed to be in “extreme danger” and possibly traveling in a tan 1998 Toyota Avalon.

By 7:45 a.m., Auburn Police followed “several” leads and found Craig and the boy. It’s not clear where the two were found; police only said “within DeKalb County.”

Police said the boy was safe and Craig was in custody. The Amber Alert was canceled 26 minutes after it was issued.

Craig was found with cuts to his arm, according to Auburn Police. He told officers that Williams had assaulted him with a knife. He then said he took the child – who he did actually have parental rights to – because he feared for the boy’s safety.

Williams declined to be interviewed on camera but told Newschannel 15 that she and Craig had an altercation then he took the baby. She denied accusations that she attacked him with a knife. She also said Craig lives at the home.

Police said Williams had been drinking. Charges against Craig are not anticipated, according to police.

At the the time of the incident, three other children were in the McClellan Street home, police said. The Indiana Department of Child Services was called to open an investigation into the welfare of all involved children, police said.