FORT WAYNE, Ind.(WANE)- Fort Wayne city leaders have some major improvement projects planned for the city’s alleys and sidewalks. Once the projects are complete, there will be 150 miles of new alleys and nearly 30 miles of sidewalks.
Mayor Tom Henry today announced the sidewalk and alleys that would be impacted. The city is able to fund the projects because of City Council’s recent passage of an increase to the local income tax.
City Council approved a .13 percent tax increase back in July. For a household that makes around $49,000 a year it will cost an extra $5 a month. The hike goes into effect next month. Officials expect it will generate $8.7 million annually.
City Councilmen Dr. John Crawford, Tom Didier, Tom Freistroffer, Glynn Hines, Geoff Paddock and Michael Barranda voted in favor of the plan. Funds will also be used for future phases of riverfront development.
“Investing in neighborhood infrastructure and riverfront development will help us continue the positive momentum and investments being experienced in Fort Wayne,” said Mayor Henry in a news release. “We’re positioning our community and region as a point of destination for job and business growth by providing the public with unique quality of life amenities and strong neighborhoods.”
City officials said some of the city’s alleys were constructed nearly 90 years ago and have not been updated since. Many of the deteriorating alleys are in Councilman Glynn Hines district. Hines said he received input from his constituents to help craft a list of alleys in desperate need of repair.
“In the central city and the southeast side there’s just potholes and it’s decrepit,” said Hines. “They need to be replaced. The neighbors prioritized the alleys, sometimes based on traffic, sometimes based on utilization.”
Hines said riverfront and downtown development has dominated the conversation in recent years, which has left people in his district frustrated.
“Riverfront didn’t mean a diddly-squat to people in the 6th district,” he said. “They wanted something that impacted their lives… their quality of life. This does that”
Arterial sidewalk projects planned for 2018. The projects in bold will be started this year:
- Hessen Cassel Road from Oxford Street to Paulding Road
- Decatur Road from Gable Road to Hanna Street
- Winchester Road from Ardis Lane to Lower Huntington Road
- Stellhorn Road from Sirlin Drive to Maplecrest Road
- Reed Road from Stellhorn to St. Joe Center roads
- North Clinton Street from Colony Drive to Auburn Road
- St. Joe Center Road from Maplecrest Road to Arlington Elementary School
- St. Joe Center Road from Medical Protective Drive to Maplecrest Road
- Bluffton Road from south of Reservation Drive to Dunkelberg Road
- Sidewalk connection between Forest Ridge and Glens of Liberty Mills
Neighborhood alley projects planned for 2018. The projects in bold will be started this year:
- Spatz Ave. and Gaywood Dr. from E. Pettit to McKinnie avenues
- Weisser Park Ave. and South Park Dr. from E. Pettit to Congress avenues
- Warsaw and S. Monroe streets from E. Maplegrove Ave. to E. Sherwood Terrace
- Central and Plaza drives from McKee to Pontiac streets
- Buell Dr. and Hoagland Ave. from W. Belmont St. to W. Fairfax Ave.
- Broadway and Beaver Ave. from W. Oakdale Dr. to Kinsmoor Ave.
- W. Packard and Kinnaird avenues from Beaver to S. Wayne avenues
- Kinnaird and W. Wildwood avenues from Beaver to S. Wayne avenues
- Home Ave. and Beechwood Dr. from S. Wayne Ave. to dead end
- Fairfield and Hoagland avenues from Kinnaird to W. Wildwood avenues
- Hoagland Ave. and Shawnee Dr. from W. Wildwood Ave. to Leith St.
- Webster and S. Harrison streets from E. Wildwood Ave. to Killea St.
- Killea and W. Leith streets from S. Calhoun St. to Hoagland Ave.
- Taylor St. and Michigan Ave. from Thompson Ave. to Nelson St.
- Lewis and Hugh streets from Francis to Ohio streets
- Hugh and Eliza streets from Francis to Ohio streets
- Lewis and Hugh streets from Winter to Lillie streets
- Winter and Lillie streets from Lewis to Hayden streets
- Lillie St. and S. Anthony Blvd. from Alliger to Hayden streets
- W. Fourth and Third streets from Schilling to Franklin avenues
- Oakland and Andrew streets from Spring to Fourth streets
- Archer Ave. and Putnam St. from Oakland St. to Sherman Blvd.
- Oakland St. and Sherman Blvd. from Greenlawn to Archer avenues
- Ethel and St. Mary’s avenues from Goshen Ave. to State Blvd.
- Kentucky and Crescent avenues from State Blvd. to Nevada Ave.