Firefighter hurt in near-downtown house fire

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) A near-downtown home was damaged by fire early Thursday.

Fort Wayne Fire crews were called just after 9:30 a.m. to a home at 1215 Wall St., between the General Electric campus and Swinney Park southwest of downtown Fort Wayne, on a report of a fire.

Fire broke out at a home at 1215 Wall St. in Fort Wayne on Thursday, Aug. 24, 2017.

Officials at the scene said fire broke out in the kitchen of the two-story home, which is divided into apartments. Occupants of one of the apartments reportedly smelled smoke and evacuated the building, and alerted a neighbor to evacuate.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke and flames rising from a rear window of the home, according to a report. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze within nine minutes.

Three residents were able to escape the fire without harm, though one firefighter suffered a slight burn to his ear while fighting the fire. A firefighter rescued a dog from an upstairs apartment, the report said.

The cause of the fire was electrical wire arcing, the report said.