Mount Baldy beach to reopen 4 years after boy trapped

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. (AP) — The National Park Service says the beach at Mount Baldy in Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore will reopen at noon Friday more than four years after the massive dune swallowed a young boy.

In a photo provided by the Michigan City, Ind., Fire Department Josh Zimmer, a United Construction Co., works at the scene Friday, July 12, 2013, of the rescue of 6-year-old Nathan Woessner, who was found alive under 11 feet of sand on Mount Baldy sand dune at the Indiana Dunes National Lake Shore near Michigan City, Ind. (AP Photo/Michigan City Fire Department, The News Dispatch)

National Lakeshore spokesman Bruce Rowe says that even with the beach opening, the dune at Mount Baldy will remain closed for public safety and dune protection. He says the public can reach the beach fronting Lake Michigan by a half-mile-long directly west of the dune.

An estimated 11 feet of sand swallowed a 6-year-old boy from Sterling, Illinois, for more than three hours before he was rescued July 12, 2013. The Mount Baldy area has been closed since then. Officials say holes began opening up on the dune’s surface from decaying trees.

 

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.