SWAT responds after man shoots rifle in the street

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) At least one person was taken into custody and several others questioned after a man was spotted firing off rounds into the air east of downtown Fort Wayne early Friday.

Fort Wayne Police investigate near East Central Towers east of downtown Fort Wayne on Friday, July 7, 2017.

Just after 8 a.m., Fort Wayne Police spokesman Michael Joyner said Allen County Sheriff’s deputies patrolling near the East Central Towers at 905 E. Washington Blvd. heard two shots fired. The officers then came up on a man carrying what they thought was “an AK47 style assault rifle” around the area of Francis and E. Berry streets.

Joyner said the man never shot at people or buildings.

The man then scampered into a home at 820 E. Berry St., just northwest of East Central Towers. Quickly after, officers surrounded the home.

Ali Sultan

Five people came out of the home and were detained for questioning, Joyner said. One person – 18-year-old Ali Sultan – was taken into custody on an unrelated warrant for visiting a common nuisance from June 19. The other four were released later without any charges.

Police are working to determine if Sultan was the one firing the shots.

Just after 10 a.m., a police tactical team entered the home with a warrant. Inside, Joyner said officers recovered two AK-47 rifles and one handgun.

Police cleared the scene around 10:30 a.m.

820 E. Berry St.

It’s not clear yet if the man with the rifle was one of the people who emerged from the home, according to Joyner. The group of people are being questioned.

No one was shot or hurt during the incident. Joyner said there was never an “active shooter,” as was initially reported by various outlets.

“We don’t have an active shooter,” Joyner said. “We have a person who was shooting off some rounds with a long gun.”

During the incident, sheriff’s deputy stalled trains on nearby tracks. Police squad cars lined city streets around the area, and residents were urged to avoid the area.