Sleepy man, fried chicken linked to fire that displaces 20

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Eight apartments have been damaged in a fire in Indianapolis after a man fell asleep while frying chicken on his stove.

The fire department says 20 residents were displaced Saturday. The fire caused damage worth $500,000.

The man finally awoke when he heard a smoke alarm. He and other residents at the Nora Pines Apartments were able to get out before firefighters arrived. The fire was under control in just minutes.

A firefighter was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.