Man, 38, killed in shooting at Ramada hotel; woman arrested

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) A 38-year-old city man was killed in a shooting at a north-side hotel late Wednesday, and a woman was arrested for the killing.

Fort Wayne Police were called just after 11 p.m. Wednesday to the Ramada Plaza Fort Wayne Hotel and Conference Center at 305 East Washington Center Road for an unknown problem. Emergency dispatchers reported possible gunshots heard inside a room.

Natasha Reed

Fort Wayne Police Department Spokesman Officer John Chambers said a shooting took place inside Room 117.

When officers arrived they found a man inside the room who was shot, according to Chambers. Paramedics pronounced the man dead.

The man was identified later Thursday as Allen D. Bolton Jr. of Fort Wayne. The Allen County Coroner’s Office said Bolton died of gunshot wounds and ruled his death the county’s 8th homicide of 2017.

Chambers said after the shooting that officers detained a person of interest and were questioning the individual about what happened. Detectives were also speaking with potential witnesses, according to Chambers.

A man was shot to death inside a room at the former Hotel Fort Wayne on Wednesday, April 12, 2017.

Just before noon, police said 36-year-old Natasha C. Reed had been arrested and preliminary charged with Aggravated Battery for the killing. Chambers confirmed that the investigation indicated the shooting was domestic.

Court documents reveal details leading up to the shooting and following the shooting. They said Reed was Bolton’s girlfriend and they had a 10-year-old son together who was present during the shooting. The two were allegedly arguing when Bolton went and emptied a travel bag on the ground.

A handgun fell out and it was then Reed to grabbed it and shot Bolton. Following the shooting the court papers said Reed called 911 and said things like “Oh God I killed my baby’s daddy.” At the same time a child could be heard in the background saying “Mommy you’re going to jail.”

The probable cause also said the boy went into the hallway to get help. He told to women there that his dad was dead. When they asked why he thought that he said because his mom shot him.

The police interviewed the boy who told them about the gun falling out of the bag. Reed did not give an interview without a lawyer. However, the court documents said at the crime scene and in transit to Police Headquarters Reed said things like “I did not mean to do it,” “He always mean to me and calls me fat,” and “Why he pull the gun out.”

The hotel was formerly known as Hotel Fort Wayne.