FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) Rockers Chicago, ZZ Top and The Beach Boys are among the acts scheduled to perform at the Foellinger Theatre this summer.
The Fort Wayne Parks Department on Friday announced a 15-night schedule that includes Kansas and cover bands Pink Droyd and Hotel California, among others. The parks department said it is also working to add up to four additional shows to its series, including The Barenaked Ladies.
“This concert season promises to be outstanding,” said Parks Director Al Moll. “We are grateful for our sponsors who help make it possible to offer such competitive ticket prices.”
The series started in 2007 when the Parks Department booked one show.
“This started off as just a whim and it’s become quite almost tradition in this community when we announce the summer series,” Moll said. “What was once a $25,000 revenue generator now probably generates close to $2 million. We don’t make that kind of money, but it pays for itself.”
The Parks Department has also been working to improve the venue for visitors and the stars.
“We’re trying to look at how we can really provide a larger green room for them, room for them to eat, air conditioning, showers and that type of thing,” Moll said. “Stuff that we all think is simple but when you don’t have it it’s noticeable.”
Tickets for *most shows will go on sale Friday, March 10 at 8 a.m.
The summer series trumpeted by city officials includes the following shows:
- Chicago on May 18
- Kansas on May 19
- ZZ Top on May 30
- Christopher Cross with special guest Stephen Bishop on June 10
- Pink Droyd presented by Science Central on June 16
- Former Journey lead vocalist Steve Augeri on June 17
- Billy Joel tribute band The Stranger on July 1
- Blue Oyster Cult with guest Mark Farner on July 7 (*ticket sale date not finalized)
- The Lettermen on July 8
- The Bee Gees tribute band Stayin’ Alive on July 22
- Hotel California on July 29
- The Beach Boys on Aug. 3
- The Spinners on Aug. 12
- The Beatles tribute band BritBeat on Aug. 19
- Happy Together on Aug. 23
All eight Harry Potter films will also be playing at the Foellinger. The movies will be free and will start at 7:30. The movies will air on the following dates:
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s STone on June 14
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on June 21
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on June 28
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on July 5
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on July 12
- Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince on July 19
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on July 26
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows 2 on August 2