FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) The Fort Wayne Police Department is sharing tips to help keep trick-or-treating safe in the Summit City Monday evening. The city’s official hours are 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. Police will be out patrolling neighborhoods during that time. Some officers will have candy for trick-or-treaters.
The department shared the following checklist:
- If wearing dark clothing, stay on sidewalks and carry a light to identify you.
- If wearing a costume or mask, be sure you can see well and are able to walk or run without tripping. Choose one that is flame resistant and reflective.
- Have treats checked by an adult before eating. Never eat unwrapped treats.
- Avoid homes that are not lit well. Only use the front door and don’t go inside.
- Travel in groups, avoid strangers.
- Allow children to carry cell phones if they are responsible enough to do so.
- Never accept rides from strangers.
- Set a time for children to be home.
- Stay alert to surroundings such as other people and cars.
- Stay away from strange animals.
- Be alert to traffic, use sidewalks and cross walks.
- Children should carry identification information discreetly.