‘Dons Use Golden Goal To Defeat IUPUI 3-2 (2 OT) On Senior Night

FORT WAYNE, Ind. – Fort Wayne men’s soccer rallied for a 3-2 (2 OT) Senior Night victory over IUPUI on Saturday (Oct. 29) at the Hefner Soccer Complex.

The game winning goal came just over two minutes into the second overtime. Matthew Lieshout‘s corner kick was deflected in off a heel kick flick from Cam Sinclair. He was soon mobbed by his teammates who flooded the field after his shot hit the back of the net.

The win for the ‘Dons moves them to 9-8-0 (2-3-0 Summit) on the season. It sets a new school record for single-season wins during the NCAA Division I era. It also vaults the ‘Dons back in contention for the Summit League Tournament. Fort Wayne now heads to Western Illinois next Saturday with plenty on the line.  The ‘Dons, Western Illinois, Eastern Illinois and Oral Roberts all enter the final weekend at 2-3 in conference play and battling for the final two spots in the tournament.

IUPUI took a 1-0 lead to halftime after Sean Siasia scored in the 34th minute.

The ‘Dons responded in the second half by scoring the next two goals. Matthew Lieshout angled in a free kick from about 25 yards out to tie the game in the 57th minute. Fort Wayne went up 2-1 on Carmelo Morales‘ second goal of the season in the 72nd minute. Oscar Uyamadu assisted on the play.

Five minutes later, the Jaguars tied the score at two when Pape Ndiaye found some space at the top of the 18 and finished into the left side of the net.

A scoreless first overtime featured a shot by Lieshout that went off the crossbar and a try by Jacob Murphy which rolled just outside the right post. It then took Sinclair’s fancy footwork to give the ‘Dons the win.

Fort Wayne out-shot IUPUI 23-15.

Thilo Körperich, Spencer Brown, Murphy, Stephen Danielian and Raphael Kotzock were honored in a pregame ceremony during Senior Night festivities.

IUPUI drops to 1-14-1 (0-5-0 Summit) with the loss.

Saturday’s regular season finale for the ‘Dons at Western Illinois will kickoff at noon.