Smoking light leads to evacuation at Woodside Middle School

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) Students and staff at Woodside Middle School were evacuated early Thursday after a lighting fixture in an auxiliary room began smoking.

Woodside Middle School was evacuated early Thursday, Oct. 27, 2016.
Woodside Middle School was evacuated early Thursday, Oct. 27, 2016.

Firefighters were called just after 8 a.m. to the Southwest Allen County Schools building at 2310 W. Hamilton Road on a report of a fire in the school’s wrestling room. Crews at the scene told NewsChannel 15 that a light fixture in a room where the wrestling team practices and mats are stored malfunctioned and started smoking.

The Aboite Township Volunteer Fire Department responded with one fire engine and an ambulance.

Students and staff of the school were evacuated across the street to The Chapel. They were ushered back in to the school around 9 a.m.