19 people evacuated after fire caused by discarded cigarette


INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Authorities say 19 people were evacuated following an early morning fire at an Indianapolis senior citizen apartment complex caused by a discarded cigarette.

The Wayne Township fire department says crews responded about 2:15 a.m. Monday to the Crestwood Village complex on the west side of Indianapolis. The fire was on the second floor and an 86-year-old woman was rescued from her balcony.

Three people were evaluated by medics at the scene and one was taken to a hospital with what was described as a minor medical issue.

Crews got the fire under control in about 20 minutes. The fire department says one unit was destroyed and eight units were damaged. Nine people couldn’t return home and they are getting assistance from the township and the American Red Cross.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.