Fort Wayne, Ind. (WANE) – Families who anticipate needing some help this holiday season to provide a toy and clothing for children can sign up for Toys for Tots and Angel Tree programs.
The Marine Corps Toys for Tots program and the Salvation Army Angel Tree program serve families with newborn infants and children up to age 14 who have demonstrated need. Toys for Tots provides a new toy in time for Christmas, and Angel Tree provides clothing, shoes and coats for children. Types of toys and clothing are based on donations from the community, but items are requested to be new. Registration is also available for Card A Teen for kids ages 15 to 17, Adopt-A-Family and food voucher programs.
The Salvation Army is doing the registration process on weekdays, October 11 to 14, according to last name, and October 17 to 21 as open dates. Please come to the Salvation Army Community Center (2901 North Clinton) to register between 9:00 and 11:00 a.m. or 1:00 and 3:00 p.m. on the day that corresponds to your last name or on one of the open days. Please plan to arrive as early as possible.
DATES: LAST NAME STARTING WITH:
October 11 A to F
October 12 G to M
October 13 N to R
October 14 S to Z
October 17 OPEN registration
October 18 OPEN registration
October 19 OPEN registration
October 20 OPEN registration
October 21 OPEN registration
Applications will be taken by household. If more than one family is requesting assistance in the same household, each will need to register together. Unfortunately, translators are not provided. However, families are encouraged to bring a translator if needed, to help facilitate the process.
Please bring the following information with you when you register:
- Photo ID (applicant)
- Social Security Card or ITIN Card for all members of the household
- Birth Certificates for all children under the age of 18 (custody papers also are needed if applicant is not the birth parent)
- Proof of income for the entire house (employment, unemployment, SS/SSI/SSDI) Social Security for children may not be the only proof of income
- Zero Income: if an individual does not have earned income, bring a printout from the unemployment office, stating income for past 12 months
- Child Support proof if applicable. This may be obtained at the Allen County Clerk’s office.
- Proof of Assistance for the entire house (Food Stamps, TANF, Housing, etc) If there are bills that you do not pay, please provide proof of how payment is made
- Proof of expenses for the entire house (utility bills, lease, rent receipts, phone, cable, medical, etc)
- Clothing sizes for all children age zero to age 14 (for Angel Tree program)
If you are afraid that you are missing a document, please contact the Salvation Army before October 10. For more information, call at 260-744-2311 or visit websites for Salvation Army or Toys for Tots.