FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) A north-side Asian restaurant is back open after being closed Thursday by police as part of an investigation involving multiple search warrants. A sign had been posted on the restaurant indicating it was closed because it was “out of power.” That was obviously not the reason for the closure.
Wu Guo Wu, the owner of Fujiyama, told NewsChannel 15 he doesn’t know why police raided the restaurant, but things are now back to normal.
As many as six undercover squad cars gathered before noon outside Fujiyama Grill & Buffet at 285 E. Coliseum Blvd., across from Glenbrook Mall near Dick’s Sporting Goods. The doors of the restaurant were locked and police told would-be customers that the restaurant was closed.
Many people were disappointed when they learned their favorite restaurant was shut down. The loyal customers hope it’s only temporary.
“We came to east sushi because they usually have a sushi buffet going on,” said Jacob Snodderly.
Posted on the door was a hand written sign that said the restaurant was “out of power,” and told customers to come back Friday. But Snodderly isn’t buying it.
I think that’s kind of fake. Nobody else on this block is out of power,” he said.
“[It] could be heath issues,” said Ryan Einhouse, who traveled from Warsaw to eat at Fujiyama. “Who knows? Everything happens for a reason I guess.”
It’s not clear yet why the warrants were served. A Marion County Sheriff’s Department detective told NewsChannel 15 that they served a search warrant at the restaurant but would not elaborate beyond that. Officers removed several small boxes out of the restaurant as well as bags of papers.The detective said the evidence was sealed. Officers with the Indiana State Police are also involved.
The place used to be called Teppanyaki Grill and Supreme Buffet. In 2014 it was shut down because of pests. Customers hope that isn’t the case this time.
“I would come back as long as it’s not for health issues,”said Ryan Einhouse. “The food is that good”
WISH-TV reports that two Teppanyaki Grill & Supreme Buffet locations in Indianapolis have been closed and a Teppanyaki eatery in Lafayette has been closed according to WLFI-TV. Fujiyama used to be called Teppanyaki Grill & Supreme Buffet. It’s not known yet if those restaurants reopened for business on Friday. Warrants were also served at an Asian buffet in Terre Haute, although information is limited on when the warrants were served and whether the restaurant was closed.
Peg McLeish with the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office issued the following statement when contacted by NewsChannel 15 Thursday afternoon:
We can confirm that search warrants are being executed in connection with an investigation. No confirmation of location or purpose of the investigation can be made. No further information will be available at this time.
WISH-TV also reports that in 2015, a Teppanyaki waitress was accused of using a skimming device to steal credit card information from customers.