SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Regular season champion Fort Wayne moved into the semifinals of the 2016 Summit League men’s basketball championships with an 86-70 victory over South Dakota Saturday night.
The 24-8 Mastodons will play in the 6 p.m. game Monday against the winner of Sunday’s IUPUI vs. North Dakota State game. USD closes its season 14-18.
After an even start, IPFW broke from an 18-17 advantage with an 8-0 run, and went ahead 30-20 on a three-pointer by Landis with 5:13 to go in the first half. USD closed within six by halftime, 39-33.
Then IPFW opened the second half with another 8-0 run, triggered by a pair of threes from Joe Reed, giving the Mastodons a 47-33 lead. Two free throws by USD’s D.J. Davis ended the string.
IPFW pushed the lead to 20, 62-42, on a Max Landis basket with 13:29 to play, before USD clawed its way back within eleven, when a Tyler Flack basket made it 67-56.
IPFW tied its biggest lead 86-66 on a trey by Kason Harrell with 1:21 to play.
Landis led four IPFW players in double figures with 24 points. Deangelo Steward added 19 points including five three-pointers, John Konchar had a 16-point, 16-rebound double-double, and Reed also finished with 16.
IPFW shot 51 percent for the game, 31-of-61, and had a 41-31rebound advantage.
Tre Burnette paced USD with 23 points while Flack contributed 15 points and a team-high nine rebounds. Davis had 11 points.
The Coyotes shot 39 percent (24-62).
After leading eight-seeded South Dakota by only six at halftime, Fort Wayne started the second half hot. The Mastodons scored the first eight points off the second half to build their lead to 14, a lead that would grow to as many 20 in the half. IPFW held a double-digit lead the remainder of the game on its way to a 86-70 victory.
Inside The Box Score
- IPFW’s John Konchar posted a double-double with 16 points and a game-high 16 rebounds.
- Player of the Year Max Landis led all scorers with 24 points along with six assists.
- Tre Burnette paced the Coyotes with his 23 points.
- The Mastodons shot 58% from the field in the second half and held South Dakota to 39% from the floor for the game.
- IPFW outrebounded USD 41-31.
News & Notes
- The 16 rebounds by Fort Wayne’s John Konchar is tied for the sixth-most in Summit League Tournament history.
- Fort Wayne made its debut as a No. 1 seed in The Summit League Tournament. The Mastodons were the No. 2 seed in 2014 when they reached the championship game.
- The 12 made three-pointers by IPFW is tied for the fourth-highest total in a Summit League Tournament game.
- Fort Wayne evened the all-time Summit League Tournament series reord at one after dropping an 82-73 decision in last year’s quarterfinal (4 seed vs. 5 seed).
- The No. 1 seed improved to 26-0 all-time in Summit League Tournament quarterfinals.
Fort Wayne advances to Monday’s semifinal round and will face the winner of (4) IUPUI and (5) North Dakota State. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. CT on Monday, March 7 with television coverage on Midco Sports Network and ESPN3.