City ready to make move on flood buyouts

The City of Fort Wayne is preparing to buyout 18 homes prone to flooding.

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) After much planning and work the city of Fort Wayne is ready to move forward with plans to buyout 18 homes prone to flooding.

Thursday the city was presented a check covering 75 percent of the funds needed for the project. FEMA is providing $862,946 for the project and the city is contributing 25 percent, or $287,649. The money will go toward buying and demolishing the homes plagued with flooding.

“This is a positive step forward to be able to secure funding to assist our residents with the buyouts,” Mayor Tom Henry said. “Protecting neighborhoods from flooding has been a top priority of my administration. I’m encouraged that our investments are making a meaningful difference to assist residents and enhance the quality of life for neighborhoods.”

Several of the homes included in the buyout were hit hard this summer with the overwhelming flooding. Our crews went back to some of the hardest hit areas near the Junk Ditch in Waynedale Thursday to check in with homeowners. When they arrived they found that many of the homes previously occupied were empty or for sale. One homeowner said he wasn’t sure if he wanted to stay or take the buyout at this time.

According to the city, the homeowners have expressed to officials that they would be interested in a buyout.

Appraisals have been completed and starting Friday the city will start meeting with homeowners and presenting its offer. Then the homeowners will have 30 days to accept the offer. Once accepted, demolition of the homes will begin in the next couple of months.

The properties will remain green, open spaces to collect flood water.

Comments are closed.