NORTH WEBSTER, Ind. (WANE) Conservation officers said a woman who had been out hunting was hospitalized after she was shot in the foot – by her dog.
Allie Carter, 25, of Avilla was hunting waterfowl at Tri-County Fish and Wildlife Area on Saturday when the Indiana Department of Natural Resources (DNR) was called around 10 a.m. on reports of someone shot while hunting.
Carter was apparently repositioning herself while hunting waterfowl and placed her 12-gauge shotgun on the ground at her feet. That’s when the DNR said her 10-year-old chocolate Labrador, “which is ironically and aptly named Trigger,” stepped on the shotgun. The gun went off and shot Carter in the foot, point-blank.
The DNR said Carter had injuries to her left foot and toes. She was taken to a nearby hospital before being transferred to one in Fort Wayne.
Carter reportedly did not complete a hunter education course and the DNR said the shotgun’s safety was not on. Conservation officers want the public to be mindful that accidents like this happen. They said the muzzle of a firearm should always be pointed in a safe direction, using the safety mechanism.
Anyone born after Dec. 31, 1986 is required to take a hunter education course before purchasing a hunting license. To find a free class, people can visit the DNR’s website.