College April Fool’s prank results in apartment fire

 

ALLENDALE, Mich. (WOOD) — A fire at an apartment near Grand Valley State University in Michigan was the result of an April Fools’ joke gone wrong.

The captain from the Allendale Fire Department said some female college students were joking around and tossed a lit firecracker at another roommate. The firecracker landed in a nearby hamper sparking a fire around 9:30 a.m. Wednesday on the second floor of a townhouse at Campus West Apartments, located near 48th Avenue just west of GVSU.

The building was evacuated and no one was injured in the fire.

Students are being allowed to return to two of the six apartments in the building. The remaining residents should be able to get back in later Wednesday, except for building number four where the fire started.

The extent of damage to the town home is unknown.

WANE.com provides commenting on many stories to allow for constructive discussion. In order to comment, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms and Conditions. Anyone violating these terms, including the use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinion of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, flag it so our moderators can review.

blog comments powered by Disqus