Remaining US personnel leave Yemen amid rebel call to arms

In this photo taken on Friday, March 20, 2015, militiamen loyal to President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi ride on an army vehicle on a street in Aden, Yemen. The country's Shiite rebels issued a call to arms Saturday to battle forces loyal to the embattled President Hadi, as U.S. troops evacuated a southern air base over al-Qaida militants seizing a nearby city, authorities said. (AP Photo/Yassir Hassan)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. has removed its remaining personnel from Yemen as Shiite rebels controlling the Arab nation’s capital call for others to join its battle against government forces.

In a statement issued Saturday night, the State Department gives no details about how many personnel had remained in Yemen and where they had been relocated.

Earlier Saturday, Yemeni security and military officials had said that U.S. troops including Special Forces commandos were evacuating from an air base in southern Yemen. The air base, Yemen’s largest, was believed to have had some 100 American troops stationed there.

A State Department spokesman, Jeff Rathke, says the U.S. continues to monitor terrorist threats emanating from Yemen and will take action to disrupt imminent threats to the U.S. and its citizens.

 

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments are closed.