Apartment fire blamed on discarded smoking material

Fire crews at the fire on Columbia Avenue Tuesday evening.

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – A Tuesday night fire is being blamed on discarded smoking material.

The fire started just after 7 p.m. on the roof of an apartment complex in the 800 block of Columbia Avenue. It took the Fort Wayne Fire Department less than 15 minutes to get it out.

The one person in the building, which has four units, was able to get out without any injuries. Luckily, the building sustained only minor fire, water and smoke damage.

Fire crews were able to determine that the fire started due to discarded smoking materials. The Fort Wayne Fire Department reminds smokers to properly discard of their cigarettes and other smoking materials.

Comments are closed.