Komets Burn Mavericks 6-2

Fort Wayne, IN (Oct. 25, 2014) – The Missouri Mavericks dropped their second game of the season by a four point margin on Saturday night when they faced the offensive onslaught of the Fort Wayne Komets that sent them from the ice with a 6-2 loss.

After trailing 3-0 for the first forty minutes of the game, the Mavericks broke onto the scoreboard with two quick goals in the third period to come within one of the Komets, but the momentum swung the opposite way just as quickly, with Fort Wayne racking up another 3 goals in the final half of the period to seal their 6-2 win.

“We outplayed them at the end of the second and beginning of the third, but we became selfish after we got the score to 3-2 and that cost us the game when things got away from us,” said Richard Matvichuk, Missouri Mavericks Head Coach & Director of Hockey Operations.

“Our players played the system we had worked on and I liked their work ethic, but we need to continue to work the kinks out.”

The Komets opened the scoreboard in at the 8:14 mark of the first period, when Thomas Frazee, assisted by Shawn Szydlowski and Mike Embach, scored on the Mavs second short-handed situation of the frame.  Less than a minute later, Fort Wayne forward Matthew Pistilli bested Mavs goaltender John Griggs for another point for the home team, unassisted.  Eric Fallie, assisted by Embach and Szydlowski brought the Komets up 3-0 at 10:14 in the first period.

The Mavericks were able to hold of the offensive drive of the Komets through the second 20 minutes of play, keeping the scoreboard at 3-0.  Though scoreless, the second frame was not without its opportunities, as both teams combined for a total of 18 penalty minutes with the Mavs Sebastian Geoffrion and the Komets Mitchell Heard dropping the gloves at 14:31 in a heated fisticuffs battle that sent both skaters to the box for a 5 minute fighting major.

Missouri seemed to catch their stride at the top of the third period, silencing the boisterous Komets crowd with their first attack on the scoreboard 3:30 into the period as forward Evan Vossen, taking a feed from teammate Kellan Tochkin, scored his first goal of the season.  The Mavs doubled their efforts and came within one goal at the midway point of the period (9:27) when veteran Team Captain Sebastien Thinel worked a perfect pass from Vossen past Komets netminder Pat Nagle.  Loren Barron was credited with the secondary assist.

Just 22 seconds later, the game changed, and the Komets took back command of their lead 4-2 with a goal from Embach (Assisted by Faille, and Drew Daniels).  Fort Wayne was then handed a power play opportunity when the Mavs were called for too many men on the ice, allowing Cody Sol to strike for a 5-2 lead with a power play goal (Assisted by James Martin and Pistilli).  The final blow came at 16:18 as Mitchell Heard tapped one in past Griggs, aided by Joey Leach and Daniels, for the 6-2 Komets victory.

Comments are closed.