Woman dies in Wabash County house fire

fire truck
File Photo

LAFONTAINE, Ind. (WANE) An electrical malfunction has been ruled the cause of a house fire Tuesday morning that claimed the life of a 58-year-old Lafontaine woman.

According to the Wabash County Sheriff’s Department, emergency crews responded to the fire at 7893 South, 100 East at around 6:24 a.m. When they arrived the southeast corner of the residence engulfed in flames. Neighbors believed the homeowner was still inside because her car was still parked outside. A sheriff’s deputy and a volunteer firefighter tried to get inside, but were unable to because of the intense smoke. The Liberty Township and Noble Township volunteer fire departments were able to put the blaze out. The victim, Susan K. Taylor, was found inside and was pronounced dead at the scene. Smoke inhalation has been preliminarily ruled the cause of death. An autopsy and toxicology examination was scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. The results have not been released.

The Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office is assisting with the investigation.

Comments are closed.