Bus crashes on I-65, multiple people injured

GREENWOOD, Ind. (WISH) — Dozens of people were hurt and police shut down both directions of I-65 at Greenwood Tuesday morning after a double-decker Megabus overturned, Indiana State Police and Indiana Department of Transportation officials confirm.

Photos | Images from the bus crash scene

The Megabus carrying between 50 and 60 people crashed around 4:30 a.m. In addition to the six to eight people with serious injuries, ISP officials estimate 20 to 25 people suffered minor or moderate injuries. Chopper 8 flew over the scene and saw some passengers being loaded into an IndyGo bus. Greenwood Fire Department Battalion Chief Chris Harrell said one person was taken to a hospital in critical condition, while four people had moderate injuries and 14 had minor injuries.

Around 6:45 a.m., southbound lanes were open and getting through fairly well. Troopers reopened northbound traffic shortly after 8 a.m.

The bus was headed from Georgia to Chicago, ISP officials said. Early investigation indicates the driver of the bus swerved to avoid an earlier one-car crash in the northbound lanes of I-65. Police say the Megabus clipped the back of that car, causing the bus to tip on its side in the median.

Sean Hughes, Associate Director of Corporate Affairs of Coach USA North America, released the following statement Tuesday morning:

“We can confirm that one of our vehicles travelling from Atlanta, GA to Chicago, IL was involved in an incident on the I-65 near Greenwood, IN at around 4.30am today (Tuesday 14 October 2014). Emergency services are at the scene of the incident and we understand that a number of passengers who were on board the coach at the time have been taken to hospital. Our first thoughts and best wishes are with everyone involved.


We will be providing assistance and support for all of our customers involved in this incident.

Safety is our absolute priority and we are assisting the authorities with their investigation into the circumstances of the incident.”

Police say the investigation is ongoing and will take several weeks.


Comments are closed.