Smoke detectors help elderly woman escape fire

File Photo

NEW HAVEN, Ind. (WANE) – An 89-year-old woman made it out of a house fire in New Haven Saturday evening thanks to the smoke detectors inside her home, fire officials said.

New Haven Adams Twp Fire/EMS was called to the 6400 block of Old Maumee Road on a call of smoke in a building around 7:30 p.m. The first crews on scene found smoke coming from the basement and upper level windows, officials said.

A woman was home at the time, but all six smoke alarms in the house were working and going off. As she was getting out of her house, she used her emergency call button necklace (LifeLine/LifeAlert) to call 911, fire officials said in a media release.

As National Fire Prevention Week starts Sunday, Chuck Lehman with New Haven Adams Twp Fire/EMS said this is a great example of how smoke detectors can save lives.

“This home is owned and occupied by one person. A female, age 89 who did a tremendous job of protecting herself and her property with six smoke alarms, and the personal alert safety system. Fire departments all over the U.S. will be conducting community outreach this month, expressing the importance of at least one working smoke alarm in their residence and this lady had six,” he said.

No one was hurt and the fire is still under investigation.

Click here for more on smoke detectors and Fire Prevention Week.

Comments are closed.