NEW HAVEN, Ind. (WANE) New Haven Adams Township Fire and EMS are praising a woman who escaped her smoke filled home with the help of six fire alarms.
On Saturday around 7:30 p.m., fire units were called to the 6400 block of Old Maumee Road in New Haven. When they arrived they found smoke coming from the basement and upper level windows.
The 89-year-old woman was able to escape from her home and the fire department is attributing it to her six sounding smoke alarms that were working properly. When she was leaving, she used an emergency call button necklace.
October is Fire Prevention Month and the fire department said this woman did a “tremendous job of protecting herself and her property.” The fire department wants to remind residents that it is important to have at least one working smoke alarm detector.
New Haven Adams Township Fire and EMS are still investigating this incident.