Suspects in Eby Ave. homicide make first court appearance

Charles Benson (left) and Marcus Lindsey (right) were arrested Tuesday for the fatal shooting on Eby Ave.

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – The suspects in the September 10 shooting of 26-year-old John Damarcus Holman made their first court appearance on Wednesday.

Related | Surveillance captures Eby Avenue shooting 

Charles Benson faces a murder charge and a charge of unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon. He pleaded not guilty and asked the judge for a “fast, speedy trial.” Benson will be back in court on September 24.

Marcus Lindsey, who also appeared in court on Wednesday, is facing a charge of assisting a criminal who’s accused of murder. His next court date is set for October 1.

Police are still looking for a third person connected to the crime.

Eby Avenue Shooting

On Monday, September 8 after 10 p.m., multiple people called 911 to report gunshots in the 2100 block of Eby Avenue. Police arrived to find John Damarcus Holman in a passenger seat of a van with multiple gunshot wounds. Police find several dozen shell casings and a surveillance video shows a gunman fire several dozen shots into a van before running.

According to court documents, around 1 a.m. Tuesday – a few hours after the shooting – police pulled over a car.  A man inside told police Benson and Lindsey were responsible for the killing. The man also said the two were at a park cleaning out the SUV with rags and bleach.  Inside were handguns and a long gun. This informant said Benson became “irate” when Holman didn’t die immediately and said Benson unloaded his guns on Holman while watching his legs twitch.

Around 9 a.m. on Tuesday, police served a high priority warrant at Benson’s home near Indiana Tech and detained five people. Benson and Lindsey were arrested. The other three were released.

Police believe the third person still on the loose was the driver of the SUV

Police believe the motive behind the murder to be retaliation. It apparently started with a fight at Fosters Pub a couple of days before the shooting and a break in at a home.




Comments are closed.