Shooting ruled retaliation, police looking for third suspect

Charles Benson (left) and Marcus Lindsey (right) were arrested Tuesday for the fatal shooting on Eby Ave.

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – New information has surfaced about Monday night’s fatal shooting on Eby Avenue.  Now, police say they’ve identified a third person of interest.

Previous coverage:  Man shot to death on Eby Avenue ID’d

Police believe this third person was the driver of the SUV.  Court documents released Wednesday reveal the motive behind all of this was retaliation.

Police mark dozens of shell casings on Eby Avenue Monday night after a man was shot inside a van.
Police mark dozens of shell casings on Eby Avenue Monday night after a man was shot inside a van.

Initial felony charges have been filed against two men: Charles Benson and Marcus Lindsey.  Benson for murder, unlawful possession of a firearm by serious violent felon, and carrying a handgun without a license.  Lindsey: a felony charge for assisting a criminal.

According to court documents, around 1 a.m. Tuesday – a few hours after the shooting – police pulled over a car.  A man inside told police Benson and Lindsey were responsible for the killing.  The man also said the two were at a park cleaning out the SUV with rags and bleach.  Inside were handguns and a long gun.  This informant said Benson got a text message that Holman didn’t die immediately and became “irate” and said he unloaded on Holman and watched his legs twitch as he shot him.

John D. Holman
John D. Holman

Apparently, the whole incident started because of a fight Sunday night at Fosters Pub and a break in at a home.

NewsChannel 15 uncovered  Lindsey doesn’t have an extensive criminal history.

  • On the other hand Benson does.
  • Multiple drug charges
  • Aggravated battery
  • Battery
  • Escaped from a state prison
  • and Carrying a handgun without a license

Police served a high priority warrant at Benson’s home Tuesday morning near Indiana Tech and detained five people.  Benson and Lindsey were arrested.  The other three were let go.

Right now, officials at the prosecutor’s office say there is no indication that the death penalty or life without parole will be filed.  Benson and Lindsey are expected to be back in court Monday.

Comments are closed.