BLUFFTON, Ind. (WANE) – Two people in Bluffton are facing neglect of a dependent charges after their 14-month-old somehow ingested meth and became critically ill. One doctor told police the level of meth in the toddler’s system could have been fatal.
On August 24, Briah Burnsworth took her 14-month-old son to the Bluffton Regional ER after he started to act strangely – rubbing his chest, holding his breath and making grunting noises. The father, Justin King, met Burnsworth there. Doctors at the hospital called police, believing the boy had meth in his system.
According to an officer report on the incident, when Bluffton police asked Burnsworth, 20, what could have made her son so sick, she started crying and told the officer she was afraid he’d gotten into either meth or meth paraphernalia. Burnsworth admitted to police that she, along with two others, had injected meth the night before. She told police the boy’s father, King, didn’t do meth but that he had provided it.
She said when she woke up, there was meth paraphernalia on the living room floor.
The toddler was rushed from Bluffton Regional ER to a hospital in Fort Wayne. A doctor who took care of the boy said the child lost some of his fine motor skills but that he hoped it would be only temporary.
Burnsworth and King are both charged with neglect of a dependent causing serious bodily injury and possession of meth. Both charges are felonies.