Suspect who escaped police custody makes initial court appearance

Tracey Salter (Photo provided by the Allen County Sheriff's Department)

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – The man who got away from police and jumped into a river after being arrested following an hours-long standoff made his initial court appearance on Friday.

Tracey Salter was appointed a public defender and issued a no-contact order with the victim. He is scheduled to be back in court on September 12. Salter faces the following charges:

  • Unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious felon
  • Escape, defendant runs away from lawful detention
  • Resisting law enforcement
  • Domestic battery

Salter was taken into police custody around 6:15 a.m. on Thursday, August 21 after a standoff that began at about 1 a.m. Police responded to the South Bridge Apartments after complex security notified them about a domestic battery suspect barricaded inside an apartment. A woman and another person got out of the apartment safely.

Police learned that the suspect, Salter, may have had an assault-style weapon in the apartment and the FWPD Crisis Response Team and Emergency Services Team were called in at about 3 a.m.

Police on the railroad bridge that spans the St. Mary's River.
Police on the railroad bridge that spans the St. Mary’s River.

Shortly after 6 a.m., officers placed an explosive charge on the door, entered the apartment and arrested Tracey Salter, 21, Fort Wayne, on an outstanding felony warrant for armed robbery.

Before being taken to jail, Salter was first taken to the St. Joseph Hospital under the guard of one police officer. While at the hospital, he managed to slip out of his restraints and run off. He led police to the railroad tracks that span the St. Marys River, between the W. Main Street and Sherman Boulevard Bridges.

Salter jumped into the river and started swimming, but quickly got tired and latched onto a log. Fort Wayne Fire Department water rescue crews then pulled him out.



Comments are closed.