Parents charged after son’s carbon monoxide death

Photo of Spore (Left) and Chamness (Right) courtesy Kosciusko County Sheriff's Deparment
Photo of Spore (Left) and Chamness (Right) courtesy Kosciusko County Sheriff's Deparment
Photo of Skyler Spore courtesy WSBT-TV
Photo of Skyler Spore courtesy WSBT-TV

Syracuse, Ind. (WANE)  The parents of a 12-year-old who was found dead hours after he died of carbon monoxide poisoning have been charged in Kosciusko County. Darrick W. Spore, 34, and Candy S. Chamness, 34, both of Syracuse were charged with neglect of a dependent and reckless homicide, according to the affidavit for probable cause.

On June 28, police were called to 202 West Washington St. in Syracuse on a subject not breathing. Court documents said while police were responding, dispatch received a call that people inside the house were manufacturing methamphetamine and had two generators running.

Police arrived and found Skyler Spore in an upstairs bedroom dead. Police said both Spore and Chamness, the parents of the Spore, tested positive for methamphetamine in their system when their son died.

According to court documents, electricity had been disconnected and the parents placed generators in the basement and inside the porch area.

blog comments powered by Disqus