People start to clean up after flooding

The Red Cross hands out cleanup kits in Hartford City after flooding.

HARTFORD CITY, Ind. (WANE) – The floodwater in Hartford City was receding Saturday and people were starting to clean up the mess left behind.

On Friday, NewsChannel 15 showed how dozens of people were displaced after water filled their homes. The American Red Cross jumped into action and residents said it was a big help. The 4-H Fairgrounds were still set up as a shelter on Saturday.

“Until that last need is met in the community, we’ll be here in some way, shape or form,” Mark Slusher with the American Red Cross said.

CLICK HERE to see pictures from the flooding and cleanup efforts.

A Red Cross truck also traveled around town and delivered 75 meals and 50 cleanup kits to flood victims. Many kits were distributed in the Greenlawn Mobile Home park.

“We came out today to deliver some meals, water, some cleaning supplies for flood victims that’s here, and assist in any way we can,” Mike Williams, a volunteer, said.

Wayne Schie was grateful for the help. He had to evacuate his home on Friday because of standing water.

“It’s been a definite improvement thanks to the Red Cross. They helped us a lot, they really stepped up and did a good job for us,” he said. “I was really worried yesterday what we were going to do because we just moved here a couple of months ago and the Red Cross stepped right up and helped us out.”

Most of the floodwater was gone Saturday and neighbors started to clean up any way they could.

“Just picking up debris that was floating in and I was just cleaning it up and helping him clean up the park a little bit,” James McGirt, who lives in the Greenlawn Mobile Home Park, said.

But, not far away in Blackford County, flooding was still causing problems for a fire at K and E Enterprises on State Roads 3 and 18. The wrecker company’s building was still smoldering while it was still surrounded by a moat of floodwater on Saturday.

On Friday, a massive fire destroyed the building, a car and a boat. Firefighters couldn’t get to it because of the floodwaters. The cause of the fire is still unclear.

Comments are closed.