Floodwaters force dozens out of their homes

Inches of floodwater forced dozens out of their homes in Hartford City on Friday, August 22, 2014.

HARTFORD CITY, Ind. (WANE)  Dangerous flooding has forced dozens of people out of their homes in Blackford County.  Nearly 10 inches of rain fell overnight in Hartford City causing major problems.  Roads flooded shut, including part of I-69 as well as lots of residential areas there.  Hartford City is about 50 miles south of Fort Wayne.

First responders tell NewsChannel 15 people living at the Green Lawn Mobile Home Park in Hartford City were hit the worst.  So much so they were forced to pack up their things and leave.

“It’s sad. We don’t know when we can go back in there,” resident Tim Wright said.

Inches of floodwater fill the mobile home park forcing people like Wayne Schie and his wife out of the place they call home.

“We got two feet of water on the ground and I saw my grandson’s sandbox floating down the road,” resident Wayne Schie explained.

Homes and vehicles destroyed.  We’d show you pictures and video of the Wright family’s cars, but they’re under water.

“It’s the only vehicles we have. How else are we going to get to work and do the other things we need to do,” Wright said.

Volunteers with the American Red Cross have been helping residents in any way they can.  Whether it’s food, shelter or emotional support.

“A lot of people don’t realize that a local disaster like this to these residents is just like someone who was impacted by Katrina. They’ve lost their home. That can be very devastating,” Public affairs manager for the American Red Cross Mark Slusher said.

DNR officers went door to door Friday morning with their boat picking people up and taking them to safety.  Then their job quickly shifted to assisting fire crews with a massive fire at State Road 3 and State Road 18, just north of Hartford City.

Flooding caused by more than nine inches of rain hampered efforts to put a fire out in Blackford County just north of Hartford City. Video taken from WISH-TV’s helicopter shows crews unable to get water on the fire at K&E Enterprises because of flooding.

The fire broke out at State Road 3 and State Road 18 after 9:30 a.m. on Friday. State Road 3 was closed for several hours while crews battled the fire. The road was back open before 4 p.m.

Smoke could be seen billowing from the fire from miles away.
Smoke could be seen billowing from the fire from miles away.

In the video, a pumper can be seen shooting water towards the fire, but it falls just short of the blaze. The fire was located

According to Emergency Management officials, the flood waters prevented equipment from getting to the fire as quickly as they ordinarily would have. They also say firefighters are having difficulty getting enough water on the fire as water supplies are low.

One person was taken to the hospital because of the fire, but there is no word on their condition.

Comments are closed.