Indiana woman painting closet hospitalized with flash burns

File Photo
File Photo

COLUMBUS, Ind. (WISH) — A woman who was painting in her home Monday morning was taken to the hospital after the fumes caught fire.

Firefighters were called to a home in the 600 block of Lafayette Avenue around 10:40 a.m. on the report of a fire where someone was hurt. When crews arrived they found a woman who had what appeared to be flash burns.

Investigators spoke with the woman who said she was spray painting a closet in the house when the odor of the paint intensified. She said she went into another room of the home to light a candle.

After walking through the home with the candle, she returned to the closet. Officials say the lit candle caused the paint vapors to flash.

The woman was taken to a local hospital in an unknown condition. Investigators say because the closet was such a confined space, it didn’t allow the vapors from the paint to dissipate, which was a factor in the fire.

Firefighters want to remind residents that paint vapors can be extremely flammable and should be considered as a respiratory hazard. When working in a confined space, residents are urged to use a form of ventilation as well as respiratory protection. provides commenting on many stories to allow for constructive discussion. In order to comment, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms and Conditions. Anyone violating these terms, including the use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinion of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, flag it so our moderators can review.

blog comments powered by Disqus