Fire pit causes house fire

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) A fire pit caused a fire at a home on the north side of Fort Wayne Saturday morning.

The Saint Joseph Township Fire Department responded to the 7200 block of Tangle Oak Place, near Saint Joe Road just before 5 a.m. Saturday.

Before the call came in, Fire Chief David Ringer said he could see an orange glow in the sky.

A man and a woman were able to get out of the house without any injuries.

Firefighters got the fire under control shortly after 5 a.m.

Six cats were inside the home at the time. However, only one was accounted for.

Several fire departments, including the Fort Wayne Fire Department, were on the scene.

Crews said the back of the home has extensive damage, which is where the fire pit was. According to Chief Ringer, an initial investigation showed that the back of the home is gone.

WANE.com provides commenting on many stories to allow for constructive discussion. In order to comment, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms and Conditions. Anyone violating these terms, including the use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinion of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, flag it so our moderators can review.

blog comments powered by Disqus