Family escapes after utility room catches fire

Photo from the scene at the 700 block of West Dewald Street
Photo from the scene at the 700 block of West Dewald Street

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE)  Firefighters are investigating a fire that started in a utility room at a home at 741 West Dewald Street.  Firefighters responded to multiple calls of a fire around 10:35 a.m. Investigators said the fire started in a utility room and then moved to the kitchen. Smoke extended to the second floor, but the fire was under control before it could fill the house.

According to investigators, the house is currently unlivable.

The fire was under control within ten minutes. Investigators are still looking into what started the fire.

Authorities said the family was renting the house. Red Cross was called in to help them because the house cannot be lived in at this time.

Nipsco and the Three Rivers Ambulance Authority assisted in helping firefighters.

blog comments powered by Disqus