N. Indiana man burned in water heater blast

File photo
File photo

MIDDLEBURY, Ind. (AP) — Authorities say a man has been hospitalized in northern Indiana after he was injured when a water heater exploded.

Firefighters tell WSBT-TV the man in his 20s was trying to light a water heater that had run out of gas and used too much fuel. The accident occurred about 9 a.m. Saturday in Middlebury, about 30 miles east of South Bend.

Authorities say the man suffered second and third degree burns to his face and hands.

The South Bend Tribune reports the man was flown to Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center in Mishawaka, where his condition Saturday was unknown.

The Associated Press paged a hospital official seeking additional information.


Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

WANE.com provides commenting on many stories to allow for constructive discussion. In order to comment, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms and Conditions. Anyone violating these terms, including the use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinion of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, flag it so our moderators can review.

blog comments powered by Disqus