Motorcyclist: I said to myself today is the day I die

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – Most people probably don’t use the words happy or ecstatic after being involved in an accident. Those, however, are both feelings one man in Fort Wayne said he has after he was the victim of a hit and run last week.

Anthony Oliveri, 47, has been riding motorcycles for more than thirty years. He said last Friday seemed like any other ordinary summer night.

“I had just taken off from the light, and it was a nice 70 degree night that night. I just left from the light there and headed down the road. The last thing in my thought process was anything like this.  Then, it just happened. I remember it happened so fast,” Oliveri said.

Oliveri was riding his motorcycle to the Rally’s on Jefferson when police said Prionda Hill hit him with her car. Police said she not only ran over the bike, but also Oliveri.

“I remember it happened and I didn’t quite know what was going on for a split second.  As I grabbed the handle bars as the bike was losing control and I looked back around my left shoulder, all I see is her tire and the left bumper getting ready to run my face over. Literally I was inches from that bumper and I just said to myself today is the day I die. I just shut my eyes and said if this is the way that God wants to do it then I guess that this is the way we’re going to do it,” Oliveri said.

He has a lengthy list of injuries including road rash and a set of broken ribs.

“She rolled over the bike and she rolled over me and everything and I just figured that was it. Then, when I felt the pain of my bike of sliding on the back of the road. I was like, wait, I feel pain, that means I’m still alive. I look up and look down at my feet and think well my legs are still connected.  When I felt the pain as funny as it is, at that point in time, I was happy because not ten seconds earlier I thought I was dead. At that point I was just ecstatic to be alive to be honest with you,” Oliveri said.

Several retired nurses were first on the scene to help Oliveri. He was taken to Lutheran Hospital. He said the bruises and road rash on his back look like a heart and angel wings. Oliveri’s fiance doesn’t think that’s any sort of coincidence, either.

“When he came into the emergency room, the bruise on the top of his back was shaped like a heart. When we got him up to his room, his bruise on his back, and even now, is shaped like angel wings. Even the nurses said that. His guardian angel was watching over him, and she gave him her wings. Then she went on vacation, because he’s put her through the ringer,” Oliveri’s fiance said.

Oliveri got out of the hospital on Tuesday and is now recovering. He said he still has a lot of swelling and bruising.

“There’s a long road here for recovery, and I don’t even know what I’m going to have to go through yet in the interim of getting back to normal,” Oliveri said.

Police later found the driver of the car, Prionda Hill, at the Rally’s several blocks down the road from where she hit Oliveri.  She told police “she was driving and out of no where God told her that he would take it from here and she let go of the wheel and let him take it.” She’s now facing several charges.

Both Oliveri and his mother said they hope the crash creates more awareness for motorcycles on the road.

“People stop for squirrels, they stop for chipmunks, who would not stop for a human being,” Francesca Oliveri, said.

“Look twice, we’re out there. Realize hey you’re in a car, we’re not,” Oliveri said.

Oliveri said he has a long road to recovery ahead of him, but he is planning on riding motorcycles again as soon as he is able to do so.



Comments are closed.