Dog alerts deaf child to burning home

Ace with 13-year-old Nick, the 13-year-old he saved from a fire on Wednesday.

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH)-Indianapolis firefighters were calling a dog named Ace a hero on Wednesday after they said he saved a boy from a fire.

The fire happened Wednesday afternoon in the 6400 block of Perry Pines Court, on the south side of Indianapolis.

Photo Gallery | Pit bull saves deaf boy from fire

Inside was a 13 year-old boy who’s deaf and was sleeping. The boy escaped the fire unharmed, thanks to his four-legged best friend.

“He’s always been good with people that comes over; he’s never been really aggressive,” said James Bernard of Indianapolis.

Two and a half year-old Ace, the Bernard’s family dog is getting a lot of attention.

“He’s just like one of the family members basically,” he said.

Wednesday afternoon, Ace, a Pit Bull, became an instant hero

“He is; he saved my life,” said Nick Lamb.

13 year-old Lamb, who is legally deaf, was sleeping without his cochlear implants inside his home on Perry Pines Court.

“He woke me up because I couldn’t hear anything and I was asleep and I looked around my room and I smelled smoke and I could see a little bit of smoke in my room,” Lamb said.

“He had to get up on him in his face and stuff; he’s a hero,” said Lindsay Bernard, Nick’s mom.

IFD took pictures of the fire when they arrived on the scene. Flames quickly took over the home.

“There was a bunch of loud popping noises and everything else, but the dog obviously knew something wrong and he went and woke him up,” Bernard said.

Lamb was in his bedroom on the second floor. He said when Ace woke him up, he quickly grabbed one of his two cochlear implants and they escaped.

“I took a breath and I went downstairs with Ace and the whole house was covered in smoke and a little bit of fire,” Lamb said.

The Bernard family said they have so much more to be thankful for.

“I would have never seen this from him. I didn’t see this coming,” said Bernard.

And most of all they are thankful for Ace.

“I love him a lot more now,” Lamb said.

Firefighters were able to rescue the family’s cat who was still inside the home when they arrived on the scene.

Investigators think the fire may have started in the garage and estimate the damage at $175,000.

IFD’s victim’s assistance is helping the Bernard’s find shelter.

The family did have insurance.

Comments are closed.