Historic building north of Indy destroyed by fire

HAMILTON COUNTY, Ind. (WISH) – About half a dozen different agencies battled a business fire with more than 100,000 gallons of water in Sheridan,  north of Indianapolis on Saturday.

The fire started at Main Street PowerMail, located at 400 S. Main Street, just south of Sheridan High School, just before 6:30 p.m. Firefighters were still on scene on Saturday at 11:30 p.m.

(Provided Photo/Frank M. Leap III)
(Provided Photo/Frank M. Leap III)

The historic building was built in 1892. It was known as Weaver’s Department Store then.

“It’s been a hometown community store for a long, long time, taking care of a lot of people,” Janice Walker said.

“It’s a tough evening. We started the first Godby Home Furnishing Store in this building in 1975 and we moved out in ’88, but it’s still tough to see where everything started going up in flames,” Jeff Godby said.

The Sheridan Fire Department had to call in more and more back up crews to bring water to the scene. Firefighters were able to contain the fire before it badly damaged any other building.

Indiana State Police said two Sheridan officers were trapped inside at one point, but they escaped through a window.

Sheridan Police Department dispatchers said the building was vacant when it caught on fire Saturday afternoon. No injuries have been reported.

The fire was called under control Saturday night but crews said they will still be at the scene most of the night. The Sheridan community is helping firefighters at the scene by bringing them coffee, ice water, Gatorade and snacks.

Sheridan residents told 24-Hour News 8 that the Sheridan BlueGrass Fever festival was canceled Saturday night because of the smoke.

blog comments powered by Disqus