The Salvation Army is collecting school supplies to send Allen County kids back to school with the backpacks, paper, pencils and other supplies needed for success in the classroom. The Tools for School program has helped thousands of children over the past 15 years. It helps supplement some of the school essentials to families who are struggling to provide life essentials.
The following items are needed for the Tools for School program.
- Backpacks – this continues to be the highest need item
- Notebooks; wide and college rule
- Filler paper; wide and college rule
- Facial tissues
- Pencil boxes – small enough to fit in a school desk
- Folders; pocket and three prong
- Washable markers; thin and fat
- Crayons in 24 count boxes
- Pencils and pens
- Glue bottles and glue sticks
- Dry erase markers (black, green, red, blue, purple)
- Composition books
Other needs include:
- Pocket Dictionaries
- Flash drives
Drop off Tools for Schools at the Salvation Army on North Clinton Street, or in any of the designated barrels in Allen County including WANE-TV (2915 West State Blvd.), Walgreens, Wal-mart and the St. Anne Home and Retirement Community.
The Salvation Army can also accept financial donations to cover items that are specific to individual schools and classes or to fill the general needs for the program. Checks may be mailed to the Salvation Army at 2901 North Clinton Street, Fort Wayne, IN 46805. For more information about this or other Salvation Army programs, visit their website.
Families who would like to apply for Tools for School assistance can do that on August 12 and 13 from 9 to 11a.m. and from 1 to 3p.m. each day at 2901 North Clinton Street. Eligible families will be able to pick up school supplies on the day of their visit.
Please bring the following items:
- photo id for the applying parent/guardian
- Social Security card or ITIN for all school age children
- Birth Certificates for all school age children (or custody papers)
- Proof of income for the entire household (employement, unemployment, child support, SS/SSI/SSDI, etc.)
- Child support proof
- Proof of assistance for the entire household such as food stamps, TANF, housing, etc.
- Proof of expenses for entire household such as utility bills, lease, rent receipts, phone, cable, medial, etc.
For additional questions, please call the Salvation Army, 260-744-2311.