Developer pulls out of planned Indiana wind farm

File Photo.
File Photo.

TIPTON, Ind. (AP) — A Colorado-based developer that filed a lawsuit last year against a central Indiana zoning board alleging it had exceeded its authority by increasing the distance wind turbines had to be from property lines has withdrawn its plans to build a wind farm.

Juwi Wind announced Thursday it is giving up plans to erect 94 wind turbines in a rural area northwest of Tipton, about 35 miles north of Indianapolis. The company previously announced it would invest $300 million in the project.

The company said in a statement that the Tipton Board of Zoning Appeals decision to increase the distance between the turbines and property lines and requiring a property value guarantee plan to protect non-participating property owners in the project “effectively rendered the project impossible to build.”

The lawsuit’s other plaintiffs will decide whether to pursue their claims against the zoning appeals board, even though Juwi is no longer involved, the Kokomo Tribune reported.

Jerry Acres, zoning appeals board chairman, defended the stipulations.

“Our objective during this entire process was to ensure that the ordinances of Tipton County were upheld and to preserve the integrity of the BZA,” Acres said.


Information from: Kokomo Tribune,


Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. provides commenting on many stories to allow for constructive discussion. In order to comment, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms and Conditions. Anyone violating these terms, including the use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinion of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, flag it so our moderators can review.

blog comments powered by Disqus