Firefighters rescue 2 dogs from garage fire

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – Fire crews were able to rescue to dogs from a garage fire before noon on Wednesday.

Fire crews were called to the fire at the 600 block of Riverside Avenue around 11:12 a.m. on Wednesday. When they arrived, crews saw heavy smoke coming from the front of garage. After forcing entry, it took crews 16 minutes to get the fire under control, according to Fort Wayne Fire Department battalion chief Mike Pinkham.

Personal possessions that were stored in the garage were destroyed. Two dogs in crates in the back of the detached garage were rescued by fire crews. The section of the building the dogs were in was hot, but that section wasn’t as affected by the fire and the dogs are expected to be fine.

Power was briefly cut to several homes in the 600 block as a precaution. The garage sustained heavy fire, water and smoke damage. provides commenting on many stories to allow for constructive discussion. In order to comment, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms and Conditions. Anyone violating these terms, including the use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinion of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, flag it so our moderators can review.

blog comments powered by Disqus