Fire crews called to Summit Transmission after machine overheats

Fire crews checked on an overheated machine inside Summit Transmission early Tuesday morning.
Fire crews checked on an overheated machine inside Summit Transmission early Tuesday morning.

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – A passing motorist on West Coliseum Boulevard spotted smoke coming from Summit Transmission early Tuesday morning and called 911.

Crews responded to 2133 West Coliseum Boulevard shortly after midnight and found light smoke coming from the building and more smoke inside.

Fire officials said a parts cleaning machine with a conveyor belt was apparently left on after the business closed and overheated. The overheating caused smoke to fill a portion of the facility and escape through a roof vent.

Firefighters turned the machine off and let it cool down.

Crews didn’t actually find any fire and didn’t have to use any fire suppression, such as water or foam.

Firefighters needed to force open an entry door to get inside, but were able to limit damage. Fire officials said there was no damage to the building because of the smoke.

No one was inside the building when the machine overheated.

No injuries were reported.

 

WANE.com provides commenting on many stories to allow for constructive discussion. In order to comment, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms and Conditions. Anyone violating these terms, including the use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinion of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, flag it so our moderators can review.

blog comments powered by Disqus