Man arrested in death of Indy 500 fan released

Coke Lot shooting Indy 500

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Authorities have dropped a preliminary murder charge against a man arrested in a deadly shooting near the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Marion County prosecutor’s office spokesman A.J. Deer said Wednesday there were problems with witnesses’ identification of 19-year-old Avory Johnson.

The Indianapolis man had been jailed since he was arrested soon after the shooting death of 25-year-old Max Levine of Kokomo in a parking lot near the track about 2 a.m. Saturday.

A Marion County Jail spokesman says Johnson was released Tuesday afternoon.

Police say an argument preceded the shooting. Levine’s mother says her son was camping in the lot with a group of friends before Sunday’s Indianapolis 500.

Deer says prosecutors are continuing to work with investigators and charges could be refiled later.

WANE.com provides commenting on many stories to allow for constructive discussion. In order to comment, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms and Conditions. Anyone violating these terms, including the use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinion of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, flag it so our moderators can review.

blog comments powered by Disqus