Indy loses out on bid to host 2018 Super Bowl

MGN Online
MGN Online

ATLANTA (WANE) Indianapolis won’t be hosting its second ever Super Bowl after all. The NFL owners voted Tuesday afternoon to award the game to Minneapolis after viewing presentations from that city along with Indianapolis and New Orleans. Indianapolis was the first to be eliminated.

The trump card for Minneapolis was its decision to build a new stadium to replace the Metrodome. Minneapolis had previously hosted the 1992 game.

Indianapolis hosted the 2012 game to rave reviews and decided to bid for a second opportunity based in part on that success.

New Orleans most recently hosted the 2013 game and had been the host venue nine other times, tied with South Florida for the most.

Indiana Governor Mike Pence served as one of the Honorary Co-Chairs of the 2018 Super Bowl Bid Committee and issued the following statement:

“Indiana presented a compelling bid in Atlanta, and I commend the Super Bowl Bid Committee and all those who spent countless hours putting together a bid packet that told Indiana’s story so well,” said Governor Pence. “Although the Super Bowl will not be coming to Indianapolis in 2018, we look forward to another opportunity to showcase our Hoosier hospitality and all that Indiana has to offer.”

blog comments powered by Disqus