AURORA, Ill. (WANE) AAA Travel expects 800,000 Indiana residents to travel over the Memorial Day holiday, which is just over a one percent increase from 2013.
The Memorial Day travel period is defined as Thursday, May 22 to Monday, May 26 and a trip is considered to be 50 miles or more from home.
The majority of those traveling, an estimated eight in 10, will do so by car with gas prices on average nationally about a dime cheaper than a year ago.
Highlights from 2014 Memorial Day Travel Forecast include:
- Memorial Day holiday travel volume is expected to reach a new post-recession high with 36.1 million Americans taking a trip
- The 2014 forecast is 2.6 percent higher than the ten-year historical average and the second highest travel volume since 2000
- Eighty-eight percent of travelers (31.8 million) to travel by automobile, an increase from 31.4 million last year
- Holiday air travel expected to increase from 2.4 percent to 2.6 million leisure travelers
- Travel by other modes of transportation including cruise, trains and buses will see the largest increase, up 6.5 percent (total 1.7 million travelers)
- Travelers will encounter slightly higher prices with airfares six percent higher, mid-range hotels up two percent and car rentals costing one percent more