Prosecutor: Hernandez was gunman in double killing

AP Aaron Hernandez
Former New England Patriots football player Aaron Hernandez, right, speaks to his attorney Charles Rankin during a hearing at Bristol Superior Court Friday, Feb. 7, 2014, in Fall River, Mass. At the hearing, the judge rejected a request by prosecutors for Hernandez's jailhouse phone recordings, then ordered them to turn over to the defense copies of calls they acknowledged already having. The ex-NFL player has pleaded not guilty to murder in the killing of Odin Lloyd, a 27-year-old Boston man who was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee. Lloyd, a semi-professional football player was found dead June 17 near Hernandez's North Attleborough home. (AP Photo/The Boston Globe, Jonathan Wiggs, Pool)

BOSTON (AP) — Prosecutors say former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez, who already faces a murder charge in a man’s shooting death last year, was also the gunman in an unrelated 2012 double slaying in Boston.

The victims in that killing, Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado, were shot to death as they sat in a car in Boston. Police have said they were shot by someone who drove up alongside in an SUV and opened fire.

Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley said at a news conference Thursday announcing that Hernandez has been indicted that the victims were “ambushed and executed” as they drove home and that Hernandez was the gunman.

Conley says Hernandez and the victims had had an encounter in a club that night.

Lawyers for Hernandez did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.

 

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

blog comments powered by Disqus