3 teachers escape carbon monoxide at Amish school

Futurecast Precipitation Forecast
Futurecast Precipitation Forecast

TOPEKA, Ind. (AP) — Authorities in northern Indiana say three Amish school teachers escaped a small schoolhouse that had filled with carbon monoxide gas.

Topeka Fire Chief Stewart Bender says the three teachers lived in the school in a rural area of LaGrange County. Bender tells The News Sun one of the teachers woke up about 5:30 a.m. Tuesday and alerted the others, one of who was initially unresponsive.

Bender says the three showed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and were vomiting. One teacher was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment while medics treated the others at the scene about 40 miles northwest of Fort Wayne.

He says the carbon monoxide was traced to an exhaust leak on a well water pump and a damaged stove pipe.
Information from: The News-Sun, http://www.kpcnews.com

WANE.com provides commenting on many stories to allow for constructive discussion. In order to comment, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms and Conditions. Anyone violating these terms, including the use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinion of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, flag it so our moderators can review.

blog comments powered by Disqus